MUSEUM HISTORY TIMELINE

2004

THE SOUTHERN AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY INC. (PORT ELLIOT) COMMITTEE AGREED IN PRINCIPAL TO ESTABLISH A SMALL MUSEUM.

2006

THE COOTE PAVILION AT THE PORT ELLIOT SHOWGROUNDS HOUSED A COLLECTION OF THE LATE NORM AND DAVID COOTE HORSE DRAWN FARM EQUIPMENT UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF MR DEANE PERRY, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC ON SHOW DAYS..

AUGUST, 2010

THE LATE KEN EKERS COLLECTION AND LOCALLY DONATED PIONEERING MT.COMPASS MEMORABILLIA TRANSPORTED BY CONVOY FROM MT.COMPASS TO JOIN THE COOTE COLLECTION.

2010

THE INAUGURAL MUSEUM SUB-COMMITTEE, UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF THE SOUTHERN AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY INC. (PORT ELLIOT) COMMITTEE WAS FORMED. INAUGURAL PRESIDENT; MR. COLIN EKERS.

OCTOBER 8, 2011

SOUTHERN FLEURIEU HISTORICAL MUSEUM OPENED ON ORIGINAL SITE (COOTE PAVIALLION) ON THE SOUTH WESTERN SIDE OF PORT ELLIOT SHOWGROUNDS WITH THE UNVEILING OF LATE KEN EKERS MEMORIAL SEAT BY ALEXANDRINA COUNCIL MAYOR MR. KYM McHUGH.

MARCH 11, 2012

FIRST FORMAL OPEN DAY TO RAISE FUNDS FOR THE NEW MUSEUM.

OCTOBER 6/7, 2012

MUSEUM FULLY OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AT THE 135TH PORT ELLIOT SHOW.

2012/13

SEVERAL OPEN DAYS TO RAISE FUNDS FOR THE NEW AND EXTENDING MUSEUM.

2013/2014

A NEW PURPOSE- BUILT MUSEUM BUILDING CONSTRUCTED ON NORTH EASTERN ( OPPOSITE SIDE) OF THE SHOWGROUND, DEDICATED AS THE NORM AND DAVID COOTE PAVILION.

APRIL 26, 2014

THE NEW PERMENANT SOUTHERN FLEURIEU HISTORICAL MUSEUM WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY ALEXANDRINA COUNCILLOR GRANT GARTRELL AND MRS SHEILA COOTE.

OCTOBER, 2015

THE FARM SHED BUILDING (DONATED BY DENNIS AND NOELINE HILL) HOUSING THE HILL COLLECTION OF TRACTORS AND MUSEUM MEMORABILLIA WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY SOUTHERN AGRIGULTURAL SOCIETY INC. PRESIDENT MR STEVE ROGERS.

DECEMBER, 2015

THE WORKSHOP WAS EXTENDED WITH A DONATION FROM THE WATSON FAMILY.

MAY 8, 2016

AWARD WINNING DAIRY EXTENSION PAVILION OPENED MAKING PORT ELLIOT THE LEGENDAIRY CAPITAL OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA BY CHAIRMAN OF THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DAIRYFARMERS' ASSOCIATION (S.A.D.A.) MR DAVID BASHAM .

MAY 27, 2017

UNIQUE HISTORY OF FASHIONS EXHIBIT MINIATURE COSTUMES FROM 1788 TO 1956 MADE BY MR. BRIAN READER, OFFICIALLY UNVEILED BY FEDERAL MEMBER FOR MAYO MS. REBEKHA SHARKIE M.P.

MAY6, 2018

THE RE-COMISSIONING OF THE ORIGINAL GRANITE ISLAND LANDROVER TRAIN.